Thursday, 30 December 2010

Step by Step American GI in Greatcoat - Part 2 (Flesh)

This is another member of the squad I'm painting.  This has also had three layers of Olive drab.  However, I darkened the mid tone a little on this one as I thought that the contrast was a bit much on the others.



Since I'm not doing these minis in an order that I would recommend I should set out how I would ordinarily do them.   The order below would have been easier - since it would have allowed me to paint the hard to reach places first.

1 - Straps, scarves and rifle
2 - Eyes
3 - Flesh
4 - Coat
5 - Trousers and Boots

One thing that you can also tell from the minis below is that I need to keep my workbench a bit cleaner! I've painted these with filthy water and using an old pallet covered in dry paint.  There are quite a few specks over the minis.  Although you can't really tell if you are just using the figures for gaming - you certainly can tell when you look at them as closely as this.  Keeping a clean pallet and a clean water should help eliminate annoying specks and imperfections.

The next stage I'm doing is the eyes.  It's a good idea to do them before you do the flesh so you can touch them up when they are finished without spoiling the flesh layers.  You can see from the picture below that the eyes should be painted as small as possible.  I will touch up under the eyes in black before painting vallejo red leather as a base coat for the flesh.


Another view of the eyes on a different mini.  Again - you can see that they are very small.  It is in fact difficult to do them too small.


Next step - first base coat of the flesh colour.





You can see that I have painted the base flesh colour right up to the eyes.  I try to leave an absolutely minute line.  It is better to have no outline round the eyes than to have one that is too large.  I have used Vallejo Red Leather.  Notice that on the last picture I have left one hand with black lines between the fingers and one hand with no black lines.  This is so that you can see what sort of a difference it makes to the final miniature.  These days I don't bother leaving a black line since it takes slightly longer and I don't think it makes an appreciable difference

I also don't worry about getting flesh onto the helmet - in fact as you will see later I actually paint from the helmet onto the face for small areas like eyebrows.  This can be touched up easily later.

Next step is the mid tone - I use Vallejo Game Colour Dwarf Flesh.  Some people like to add bags under the eyes.  I think that they make a mini look better but they take longer.  Most of the time I don't paint them.  if you do want them - paint them first like in the picture below.  This means that if you mess up you can touch them up.  I though that these were too large so I made them smaller for the next stage.









The other three minis...







The 3rd Stage is putting the final colour before the last highlight.  For this I use humbrol flesh (61).  I add a small amount of dwarf flesh to it just to give it a bit more colour.  I forgot to take a photo of the third figure - I'll do that for next time.



The final highlight.  You can see from these photos that I didn't dilute the paint enough when painting these figures as the paint is bumpy.  I haven't been painting for a while and have clearly forgotten some of the good habits you have to try and adopt when layering like this - the first is paint consistency.  It's probably the single most important thing to make sure you're paint isn't too thick.





 Sadly on the figure below there is a piece of flash just below the chin that I didn't notice until I started painting.  Artizan didn't used to suffer from these problems and their figures have become much more difficult to clean than they used to be - again a good habit I've forgotten - making sure the figures are fully prepared before you start!



The figures after the layer of humbrol...  The one on the right is getting brown gloves hence no flesh colour.


No comments:

Post a Comment